Primary Candidate Forum – May 21
Meet the Candidates Before the June 5th Primary Election!
- When: Monday, May 21st, 5:30 to 8:30 pm
- Where: Picacho Hills Country Club, 6861 Via Campestre, Las Cruces
- What: Bipartisan Primary Candidate Forum for candidates for local and regional New Mexico public offices.
- Who: All candidates for the offices of the US House of Representatives (District 2), County Commissioner (District 1), County Sheriff, Public Regulation Commissioner (District 5) and County Assessor have been invited and are expected to participate.
Open to the Residents of Picacho Hills. Space is limited to the first 100 attendees and seats are available on a first come, first serve basis.
Art in the Garden – May 20
Six Picacho Hills residences will open their beautifully landscaped gardens paired with Picacho Artists and Master Gardeners for an afternoon free to the public. Come and enjoy natural and specimen plantings, majestic views, waterfalls and get your questions answered by the professionals. Join us on Sunday, May 20, 2018 from 11:00 am-4:00 pm. Maps are available behind Great American Steakburger, 1338 Picacho Hills Drive. Look for red flags.
Artists of Picacho Hills Exhibit – Avenue L
April 20 – May 11
Monday through Friday from 9 AM – 5 PM at Celestial Hearing Solution, 2100 E. Lohman Avenue, Suite 112.
Don’t miss this exhibition by our creative neighbors – Judy Bess, Larry Felhauer, Cherie Gamboa, Mary Hayhoe, Becky Johnson, Paul Maxwell, Rosemary McKeown, Jan Severson, Marei Siegrist, Wanda Sparks, and Jan Thune.
Great American Clean Up
Annual Members’ Meeting
Thanks to all who attended our Annual Membership Meeting on Wednesday March 14, 2018, at Picacho Hills Country Club. It was a great turn-out and chance to meet neighbors, new and old! Minutes have been emailed. If you’re a new member and would like a copy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discount Cards Are Here!
Hot off the presses, your hot pink 2018 Merchant Discount cards have been mailed. Be sure to keep a list of our Merchants on hand so you can take advantage of every discount!
February 11th was a very successful Newcomers’ Social at Picacho Hills Country Club. The PHPOA hosts this annual event to welcome new residents to our hillside. It was a great afternoon with Board members meeting and greeting over 20 new residents, everyone enjoying the great views and delicious food at the Club.
Need to Renew Your Membership? New to the area?
The 2018 Directories have been mailed. This service is just one of many brought to you by the hardworking volunteers of PHPOA. Speaking of volunteering, tell your friends and neighbors on the Hill about our good work for the neighborhood of Picacho Hills. Who are we and why should you join us? Read on!
The PHPOA’s mission is to help maintain our property values and communicate issues that impact our community. PHPOA also addresses safety concerns and undertakes projects to enhance the beauty of our area. In case you are not familiar with this organization’s good work, here are some the projects completed in recent years:
- Redesign of the “Y” intersection of Barcelona Ridge and Picacho Hills Drive
- Repainting and improvement of landscaping around the monument at the entrance to Picacho Hills. Retention of landscape company to maintain landscaping
- Payment of cost of sign lighting, installation of cost-efficient lights
- Repair and reinforcement of tiled street signs and repainting of posts
- Repainting of Picacho Hills Country Club sign, as well as signs near the club
- Contact with the County re: safety concerns, causing the County to repair curbing on Picacho Hills Drive plus damage on other streets; restoration of reflective signs on the curve of Picacho Hills Drive
- Implementation of Neighborhood Watch program in cooperation with the Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Office. Payment for all Neighborhood Watch signs and their installation
- Involving the Town of Mesilla and County Fire Authority on improving Emergency Medical Response time
- 2017 Landscape Project – PHPOA paid for the Master Landscape Plan and collected donations for landscaping in front of the Doña Ana Water fencing at Fairway Village, up to the first cul-de-sac on the north side. Planned landscaping will occur this year at the corner of Fairway Village/Picacho Hills Dr. and the south side of Picacho Hills Drive
The PHPOA also provides these services:
- Maintenance of the PHPOA website (picachohillspoa.com)
- Three newsletters a year communicating PHPOA concerns and activities
- Welcome Bags to new residents
- Merchant Discount Program with participating merchants
- Communication with Doña Ana Mutual Domestic Water Consumers Association (DAMDWCA) on issues concerning homeowners in Picacho Hills
- Safety meetings with Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Office personnel to discuss community issues
- The annual April Great American Cleanup, arranged by the PHPOA with Southwest Central Solid Waste Authority, plus another Cleanup Day in October
- A directory of all Picacho Hills residents including names, addresses, contact information, updated annually
- Landscape maintenance of Picacho Hills Drive from Fairway Village to the triangle at Barcelona Ridge Road, extending north to Via Norte
The cost of a PHPOA membership is $70/year, a small price to pay for being informed about so much going on in Picacho Hills! A membership form is provided in each newsletter and on the website. Sign yourself up, or give it to your neighbor. Remember, send the membership form with your check so we have your updated contact information. And please write clearly so we don’t have to “interpret” your email address!
Thank you in advance for your support of PHPOA’s valuable work for homeowners in Picacho Hills.
The Winter 2018 Newsletter is now available! Each issue contains a articles dealing with a number of relevant topics including public safety, water company projects, the landscaping project, as well as updates on many other subjects. Click here to view the current copy.
Need more information? The newsletter is published three times per year–Winter, Spring, and Fall. It is distributed to PHPOA members via email. In addition, it is available for downloading from this website, and printed copies are available in the Picacho Hills CC clubhouse. If you know of anyone who is unable to access any of these outlets and would like to have a copy, please contact us through this website and let us know. We will make sure that a copy is available to them.
Master Landscape/Streetscape Plan
The Picacho Hills Master Landscape/Streetscape project is a reality! Phase ONE planting began on August 29, screening the Doña Ana Water security fence with Moonglow Juniper, Oleander, and Texas Sage. We will continue to landscape that area, proceeding up the hill as funding permits. As you drive by, please notice your donations at work as we beautify our neighborhood. A huge thank-you to our donors!
Several HOAs have made significant contributions, including Fairway Village HOA’s generous commitment to pay for the water meter as well as the monthly water bill. Many individuals have already made donations, but we hope that all residents of Picacho Hills will consider how important landscaping is to their property values and potential saleability of their home. This is a multi-year project that cannot be possible without your donations. (We are registered with the NM Attorney General as a fundraising entity and all donations can and will be used exclusively for landscaping.)
Checks made out to PHPOA Landscape Fund can be dropped off at the Club or mailed to PHPOA, PO Box 51, Fairacres, NM 88033.
Merchant Discount Program
Our Merchant Discount list is posted on this website for your convenience. Please take your 2018 PHPOA Merchant Discount card with you when you visit our merchants, in order to get the discounts. We are currently in the process of updating all merchant contracts and printing membership cards. The updated list is renewing daily, so be sure to check it periodically for the service you need. We are pleased to welcome several new merchants. Our most recent new vendor is We Are I.T., offering discounts on hardware repair, virus removal, data backup, and network solutions.